Hennepin County Medical Center
1. Gathers information from patients, clients/family members, HCMC clinical areas, government
agencies, employers, third party payors and/or medical payment programs, etc. both in-person and
by telephone to register patients, gather or update information, obtain referrals and preauthorizations,
complete appropriate forms, conduct evaluations, determine benefits and eligibility
(insurance, public programs, etc.), determine financial responsibility and/or to identify sources of
payment for services.
2. Requests, inputs, verifies, and modifies patients demographic, primary care provider, and payor
3. Utilizes tools, including computer programs, when indicated.
4. Makes appropriate referrals (i.e. Patient Financial Care Specialists, Collections Specialists) as
5. Provides excellent customer service and timely response to questions and issues related to benefits,
billing, claims, payments, etc.
6. Answers questions (by phone and in-person) and provides quotes for services (including discounts),
identifies financial resources, etc in accordance with HCMC policies and procedures.
7. Utilizes various databases and specialized computer software for financial care activities including
eligibility verifications, pre-authorizations, medical necessity, review/updating of patient accounts, etc.
8. Establishes plans (patient liabilities, payment, etc.) and conducts follow up activities related to those
9. Inputs, retrieves, and modifies information and data stored in computerized systems and programs;
generates reports using computer software.
10. Explains charges, answers questions, and communicates a variety of requirements, policies, and
procedures regarding patient financial care services and resources to patients, staff, payors, and
11. Works with Claims and Collections (both internally and with collection agencies) in order to assist
patients and their families with billing and payment activities in order to increase cash flow.
12. Other duties as assigned
2 years clerical experience in health care revenue cycle operations:
billing/claims, patient accounting, collections, admissions, registration, etc.
Bi-lingual (spanish required).
An approved equivalent combination of education and experience
Knowledge of patient billing claims process
Ability to communicate with patients and families under sometimes stressful
Strong telephone communication skills
Experience with electronic health record or similar software program
Knowledge of payor programs
Knowledge of applicable federal and state regulations
Demonstrated organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and manage
tasks based on established criteria.
Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills;
Ability to work independently with minimal supervision, within a team setting
and be supportive of team members;
Proficient with Microsoft Office
Ability to analyze issues and make judgments about appropriate steps toward
CRCR (Credentialed Revenue Cycle Representative) preferred.