Hennepin County Medical Center
1. Perform standard procedures in patient identification
2. Perform blood drawing procedure including venipuncture and capillary collection.
3. Document specimen collections according to standard procedures in hospital information system and label specimen accurately.
4. Perform routine clinical diagnostic laboratory tests in one or more sections of the clinical laboratory.
5. Use lab computer to accurately report tests in a timely manner results according to established protocol.
6. Recognize abnormal or unusual test results, communicate such results and follow established procedures for reporting critical/panic values to appropriate personnel.
7. Operate, conduct performance checks on, calibrate and maintain testing equipment and instrumentation.
8. Perform quality control procedures, monitor results, notify supervisor of discrepancies and make corrections within predetermined guidelines.
9. Troubleshoot instruments, reagents and patient specimen problems as they occur. Notify supervisor if unable to resolve
10. Assist in training new employees and teaching students.
11. Accurately record data in appropriate records and logs, such as lot numbers, calibration data, and
control values, etc
12. Demonstrate patient and family centered behaviors
Minimum Education/Work Experience:
Completion of a Laboratory Technician training program approved by the National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS)
In some positions an Associate in Arts or Applied Science degree is required.
An approved equivalent combination of education and experience.
Customer service skills
Associates degree in a relevant science
MLT (ASCP) or equivalent registration or has completed a technician training program in a school accredited/approved by HHS, or MLT eligible under Medicare laboratory regulations.
Four months clinical laboratory internship
Certified or eligible for certification as a Medical Laboratory Technician (ASCP) through written examination or approved equivalent. For moderately complex laboratories an AMT (American Medical Technologist) Medical Laboratory Technician certificate is also acceptable.
As a condition of employment, an employee hired on an "or eligible" status must take the first available examination after their date of hire, and such employee must pass one of these nationally approved certifying exams within three consecutive administrations of the exam within a 12 month period