Hennepin County Medical Center
Physician Assistant or Nurse Practitioner interested in providing medical care to mental health patients in our hospital-based Inpatient Psychiatry Unit. A high percentage of these patients have medical co-morbidities including diabetes, hypertension, cardiac disease, sleep and respiratory disorders.
-- Provide evaluation, diagnosis, treatment and education to patients and their families.
-- Provide direct patient care to assigned population and refer to other health care professionals or agencies.
-- Work collaboratively, in consultation with, and/or refer to, medical staff as indicated by patient health status and medical condition.
-- Perform variety of medical procedures to include but not limited to wound care and dressing, venipuncture, starting IV lines, bladder catheterization, suturing lacerations, pelvic examinations and tests, incisions, immobilizing fractures.
-- Obtain patient and family health history and perform physical examination appropriate to patient age and history.
-- Assess patient health status and create plan of care in collaboration with patient. Reassess and modify plan as needed to achieve medical and health promotion goals.
-- Provide patient and family education appropriate to needs.
-- Provide appropriate screening and education for primary disease prevention and for management and education for secondary and tertiary disease prevention and management.
-- Order, conduct and interpret diagnostic tests; order prescribe, administer and dispense therapeutic devices or legend drugs.
-- Complete accurate and timely documentation of history, examination, assessment, plan of care and other observations as indicated.
- Master s degree in nursing from an accredited program
- Experience within the area of specialization experience in providing care to adult population preferred
- Or an approved equivalent combination of education and experience
- Possession of a valid license as a Registered Nurse issued by the State of Minnesota
- Certification in the area of specialization by an agency authorized to certify
professional nurses in advanced practice
- Or an approved equivalent as provided under M.S. 148/284.
- Graduation from an accredited physician assistant (PA) program with experience in providing care to adult population preferred
- Certification or eligibility for certification from the State of Minnesota as a Physician Assistant
Positions at Hennepin County Medical Center are credentialed through the Office of the Medical Director in accordance with its policies.